“How do you manage to have a blog while you have a full time job, a boyfriend, mother to call every day, cook your own meals and able to study?” Every single day, someone will pop this question. I absolutely agree that it’s really not easy to juggle all of it in one single sitting – it takes serious planning or else you’ll go crazy.
I honestly believe that when something makes you happy, you have to do more of it. If it brings you new challenges, you have to take it and move. And if something is really important to you, you’ll find time even if it’s impossible to have time.
I have a full time job and a whole lot more stuff to do. But, when I started getting serious in blogging I realized that I need to have a direction or else, I’m just wasting my time and money.
How To Manage A Blog With A Full Time Job
Whether you are blogging for hobby or planning to make it your full time job in the future, you have to have a solid plan and a made up mind. Blogging can take up so much of your time so you have to make sure you spend every minute wisely. Here are some tips that I can personally attest to be effective.
“Failing to plan is planning to fail.” Have you every heard of that? This is so true in blogging. When I started I just want to write, to keep things out of my chest so I can breath. I usually do this when I am out from my full time job, I seriously made my blog an online diary that time.
Then one day, I was browsing my Linked In profile when my former boss sent me a message saying that he read some of my blog posts and he thinks that instead of pulling off bitterness I can make it informative, enjoyable, alive and pretty. That struck me like a lighting bulb. He was right! So, I started planning out. I started setting small achievable goals day by day.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Until when do you plan to blog?
- How can you grow your blog?
TRY OUT STRATEGY
When you’ve made up your mind and ready to make a commitment to your blog, it’s time to make a move and level up. To make this step fruitful, you have to ask yourself these 3 questions:
- What knowledge do I need to make it successful?
- How much time can I allot to this and how often?
- How does it make me feel?
It is important to answer these questions wholeheartedly because if you are just lying to yourself? Stop it. Blogging is just a waste of your time. It’s like getting a degree, if you want to have a successful blog you gotta make it work.
You have to make room for the other things that surrounds you – like family, your special someone and of course, your blog. So how can you do this without losing your mind?
- Grab a calendar (physical or app based) – write down the events that is important to you and your family (i.e. anniversaries, birthdays, vacation etc) this is important so you would know how many time can you allot to blogging
- Office tasks – this is where the challenge begins! You cannot control the pile of work at the office but most certainly you have some “break time” when you can snooze in with your blog. I personally check my blog or write down some posts during lunch break or when I get really itchy to write I do it in meetings (sorry, boss!)
Say for example you’ve decided that alright, I have “2 hours every Wednesday and Friday” where I can work on my blog. That is amazing. Now, you need to be extra productive so be sure you utilize your time.
What you can do is:
- Research topics while your on a bus, taxi or train going to work.
- Write drafts while eating lunch
- Finalize the post once your on your way home “this means to re-read many times, critic your own work, make it your best piece!”
- Hit publish once ready – you can challenge yourself to make it a point to publish in a same time every time. This will help you to stay on track.
SCHEDULE & AUTOMATE
If thinking of a post takes time, every blogger would agree that PROMOTION takes more time. Want to be a successful blogger? Work your butts off, baby!
Here’s the trick, you cannot spend time on every social media at the same time and expect a HUGE LEAP on traffic – that’s not how it works. Believe me, I failed many times in promotion like crazy doll!
Choose two of your most beloved social networks “those you honestly enjoy” and where your audience hangs out and focus on them. Say for example you love Facebook and Instagram, what you can do is:
- Analyze the content – what content is most shared? liked?
- What could be better? look for improvement on your posts
- What tools can I use for me to save time while growing my blog?
- Is this social media giving me results?
I use Tailwind for Pinterest, Here’s a 1 Month Trial that you can use.
And for sending emails, I use Convertkit.
It’s easy to get caught up in blogging and just write posts then promote them and go back to sleep. For sure I know how that feels. But you have to keep in mind that you have audience, readers and fellow bloggers (which by the way are real people) to connect with.
Blogging is such a powerful way to make new friends and loyal readers! Connect with them on social media, help out, seek advice and ask for help.
Your blog is not just about writing posts, promoting to social media or connecting with others. It needs maintenance. What do I mean?
- Your domain name, when will it expire? Take note of it.
- Your hosting, was it good so far? Check that.
- Do you back up your blog? Try Updraft Plus it’s what I use and it’s been amazing.
- Do you update old posts? Don’t let gems hide on the cave.
- Do you revamp your blog look? Keep things interesting but clean to navigate easily.
Once you hit your “goal in numbers” and have a full confidence, take on the next leap of faith and monetize. There are a lot of ways, you can sign up for Google Adsense or check on some AdNetworks like BlogHer, Nuffnang, Affiliate Marketing all that good stuff. You can even sell your own products.
Are you a blogger with a full time job?
How do you manage your blog?
Get your copy of this huge list of blog post ideas to combat writer's block for REAL!